Our Blog

Different Plasma Donation Myths That You Should Know About

Our blood contains red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the body through hemoglobin. The water contained within it is called plasma, and it helps the blood coagulate. To be more specific, it is the fluid part of our blood, consisting of about 55% of it. The other 45% is occupied by red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets, which increase our blood clotting ability. About 92% of plasma is water.

Believe it or not, there is also such a thing as a plasma donation. This procedure is one in which only the plasma is drawn from the blood. Donors usually give approximately 320 milliliters (around two cups) of whole blood through a vein, and then they are sent on their way. The plasma is separated from the donated red blood cells to help with the recipient’s clotting issues, after which the cells are then returned to their respective donor, now with saline to keep them from clotting again.

It may all seem straightforward from the get-go, but as with all medical procedures, there are often myths about the process of plasma donation as well. In such a case, we have listed some of them below so you may avoid garnering them as facts in the foreseeable future.

1. You Can Donate Plasma Every Week

The FDA does not allow this, so current donors can’t donate plasma over two times per week.

2. Heating Can Be Used to Speed Up the Process

Oxygen tanks and heated blankets are often used to achieve this, but they are not allowed. The warmth will impact the amount of albumin, a protein found in blood plasma, and can affect the blood’s ability to clot.

3. There Are Different Types of Plasma Collection Centers

It is a common misconception that a plasma donation center can be a hospital, a blood center, or even a mobile plasma center. However, it is vital to know that these centers are all run by the same company once you’re done donating.

4. You Need to Have an O Positive or O Negative Blood Type to Donate

While it is true that these two blood types are the most common in the entire world, there are plenty of donors who have a different blood type and still manage to donate plasma. To donate plasma, you should have a blood type of A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, or AB-.

5. Weight Gain Is the Only Side Effect

Most people think that the main side effect of plasma donation is weight gain, but that is not the case. It could also cause dizziness, aches, pain in joints and muscles, sensitivity, and fatigue.

6. You Need to Be Below 18 Years Old to Donate

The minimum age requirement to donate plasma is 18 years old. Donors older than this are welcome to donate as long as they are healthy and meet the height and weight requirements.

7. No Blood is Taken Then

You may think that because the plasma is separated from the red blood cells, no blood will be taken at all, but that is not the case. The red blood cells are returned to you, and they are still filled with blood after they were extracted from your body.

8. Donating Plasma Will Make You anemic

You may indeed feel faint after the donation has been made, but this will not make you anemic. It is a common misconception that the red blood cells returned to you will be used to keep your body healthy, but this is not the case. The donated plasma is the true recipient.


There will always be misconceptions regarding procedures such as plasma donations, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t learn more about it to avoid believing them all. By knowing facts from fiction, you may have a general idea of what they are all about, well enough to make you feel comfortable receiving and donating plasma as well.

If you are looking for a well-trusted plasma center where you may donate your own plasma, look no further than our facilities and services here at thplasma. We are a plasma-donation company steeped in community, driven by innovation, and guided by genuine care for our donors and employees. Call us today and let us discuss your choice and needs for a plasma donation.